The institute was first established in the year 1955 as Cottage Industry Training
Institute by the Community Project Department, Govt. of Assam over a plot of land
of 12 bighas 6 kathas 8 chataks acquired by them and then it was renamed as Vocational
Training Centre. The institute was first established to impart training in few trades
viz. Ceramics, Tailoring, Blacksmithy, Carpentry, Bamboo and Cane etc.
In April 1957, the institute was taken over by the Education (PTM) department, Govt.
of Assam. Then in October 1957, the institute was converted to ITI Srikona with 158
seats in seven trades sanctioned vide Govt. of India letter no. TP-7(36) (1) /57,
dated 4/10/57 and in 1988 its intake capacity reached to 448 seats with 18 (eighteen)
nos. different trades having 28 units.
Additional land for the institute have been acquired phasewise and now the total
area of its land stands at 86 bighas 5 kathas and 7 chataks.
Besides the 10 nos. of buildings constructed by the C.P. department , another 5 nos.
of buildings have been constructed since its conversion to ITI and 4 nos. of buildings
out of 10 buildings constructed by the C.P. department , have also been renovated
by the P.W.D. department . Another hostel building including some staff quarters
have been constructed under World Bank VTP project in 1994.
The renovation of existing buildings, boundary wall 550 m and IT&ESM workshop have
been constructed under PM’s NES package